ActBlue Co-Founder Invokes the Fifth Amendment As House Fraud Probe Widens
ActBlue co-founder Matt DeBergalis sat before the Committee on House Administration, the House Oversight Committee, and the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday and declined to answer a single substantive question during a closed-door deposition that reportedly lasted less than half an hour. DeBergalis invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and left. DeBergalis joins a growing list of ActBlue executives who have chosen silence over testimony as Republicans dig into whether the Democratic Party’s primary fundraising platform let foreign money slip into American campaigns.
ActBlue has raised roughly $20 billion for Democratic candidates and liberal causes since its founding.
House Administration Committee Chairman Bryan Steil opened the Committee’s investigation into ActBlue in 2023. The original complaint centered on a simple but significant security gap: ActBlue did not require a credit card CVV number to process donations. This policy made it easy to run stolen or fabricated card numbers through the platform undetected.
“ActBlue executives and staff are aware that both foreign and domestic fraudulent actors are exploiting the platform but do not take the threat seriously,” a committee report released in April 2025 concluded. ActBlue rejects that characterization, and has called the investigation politically motivated and denies breaking any law.
Whether the platform has genuinely tightened its standards since then is the question Steil says he still cannot answer. In an interview with Fox News ahead of Thursday’s deposition, he laid out the committee’s core uncertainty. “It’s unclear how serious ActBlue is now taking fraud,” Steil said. “We know that they weakened their fraud standards previously. Did they make the changes that are needed to root out foreign funds from coming into U.S. Elections?”
DeBergalis is not the first ActBlue official to invoke their Fifth Amendment rights. ActBlue CEO Regina Wallace-Jones previously pleaded the Fifth during a public hearing before the House Administration Committee In June.
House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan pressed her directly on a figure attributed to her own board chairman. “Your board chairman said ActBlue accepted up to $38 million in contributions in 2024 that had the signs of foreign origin,” Jordan said. “How much fraud is too much for all?”
Wallace-Jones declined to answer.
“What is so frustrating for me, and I think countless others – they have a right to not answer our questions,” Steil said. “But I think the American people also have a right to know exactly what’s taking place on this platform that has raised roughly $20 billion for Democratic candidates and liberal causes since its creation,” he said.
ActBlue board chairwoman Kimberly Peeler-Allen offered the closest thing to a public defense back in April, when she told The New York Times that “less than 1%” of contributions during the 2024 cycle showed signs of foreign origin, a cycle in which ActBlue raised $3.82 billion. That percentage, applied to a number that large, still lands somewhere in the tens of millions of dollars, which is roughly the figure Jordan cited to Wallace-Jones two months later. ActBlue’s own lawyer, Vincent Cohen, wrote to the committee chairs that same April, defending the platform’s technical safeguards and insisting the organization “built a robust platform with anti-fraud technology.”
The Justice Department is also investigating whether ActBlue adequately policed fraud on its donation portal. ActBlue maintains it has done nothing wrong and frames the entire multi-committee, multi-agency effort as a partisan exercise aimed at hobbling the left’s most important fundraising infrastructure ahead of the midterms.
That defense gets harder to sustain each time a key person from ActBlue, who has knowledge of the platform’s internal decisions, won’t answer questions by invoking their constitutional right against self-incrimination.
Tyler Durden
Fri, 08/21/2026 – 11:45

